Labels

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Getting Creative in the Kitchen

Tonight we tried a new recipe ~ Albondigas Soup.  We call it Meatball Soup.  Last week I made up some meatballs which I threw into the freezer and my pantry is stocked with chicken and beef broth...so it was a perfect night to make some soup.


Let the prepping begin.  I chunked up 3 potatoes and finely chopped up some celery.  Instead of chopping up carrots...I shredded them.  For some reason I hate eating cooked carrot chunks...but shredded is fine.  In my dutch oven I have sauteed up some chopped onions and minced garlic.


This really isn't a very flattering picture...but it tasted good.  This picture shows the meatballs and cilantro that I added.  I also added some chili powder, dried oregano, and additional pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.  I like my soups to be hearty in flavor and the original recipe was too wimpy for me.


I needed something to go with this soup and found some leftover biscuits that I split in half and buttered (with a great Tuscan flavored butter spread) and toasted.  Then I topped with a bit of shredded cheese and popped them back into the oven for a few seconds to melt the cheese...delish.

It was nice having dinner with my hubby...he is working a side job and will be gone during the weekends for the next month or two.  I had this soup cooking when he got home and the first thing he said..."I knew the house would smell good when I got home".  Is that the greatest compliment or what!

Recipe:

Albondigas Soup (or as we call it ~ Meatball Soup)
1 lb. ground beef
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pinch salt
1 pinch onion powder
Salt & pepper to taste
4 (14.5 oz) cans chicken or beef broth
2 large carrots, shredded
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 potatoes, cubed
 Place the ground beef, ½ the cilantro, ½ the chopped onions, ½ the garlic, garlic salt, and onion powder into a bowl.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix gently until combined.  Form the meat mixture into golf ball-sized meatballs.  Cook the meatballs either by frying on a stove top or baking in the oven.  In a dutch oven (or large pot) spray with pan spray and cook the remaining onions and garlic over medium heat until translucent, about 10 minutes.  When onions and garlic are cooked, add the chicken and/or broth, carrots, celery and potatoes.  Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are nearly tender, about 15 minutes.  Add the meatballs and the remaining cilantro; simmer for an additional 30 minutes.  Season to taste…I added more garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, chili powder, and pepper to create a bit more spicier broth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment