Labels

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day means Cinnamon Rolls

It's Father's Day and that means homemade cinnamon rolls.  Back in the old days, when they still offered Home Ec in high school...my teacher taught us how to make these super yummy cinnamon rolls.  What I love about these is that they can be made...from beginning to end...in about an hour.  You don't have to let the dough raise a couple of time for a couple of hours...you just mix, wait, roll and bake.  This recipe is a family favorite and always makes my hubby and kiddies very happy.


I like to roll out my dough really thin so I can have lot's of
layers of cinnamony sugary goodness.



I topped the dough with a cube of butter and a cube of margarine and added brown sugar by the handful until it was covered and then sprinkled cinnamon over all.  I like the unsalted butter and margarine combination because when these are done cooking the bottom of the cinnamon roll is crispy with a salty sweet crunch...so delish!



All rolled up, sliced and ready to go into the oven...in 20 minutes they will be done!



Fresh out of the oven and topped with a quick cream cheese frosting I whipped up. 



Cinnamon Rolls

1¾ cups very warm water (approx. 110°)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs ~ beaten
3 T yeast
5¼ cups flour (okay to use up to 2 cups of wheat flour)
1 tsp. salt
1 t. vanilla

Combine warm water, oil, sugar and yeast in a large bowl and stir until just blended.  Cover with a light towel and let rest for 15 minutes.  Add beaten eggs, flour, salt and vanilla.  Mix until the dough forms a ball, if the dough remains sticky; keep adding flour slowly until the dough stiffens up into a ball.  Knead until smooth.  Roll out dough to a thin rectangle on a floured surface.  Spread dough with one cube of butter and one cube of margarine (or any combination you may desire); top with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Roll up and slice into 12 sections.  Place into a greased pan and let sit for 10 minutes.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, until light brown.  Top with a frosting of your choice if desired.

**NOTE:  I must have been half asleep when I made these this morning because I forgot to add the 2 beaten eggs.  They tasted fine and I couldn't tell a difference.  Also, I don't knead these by hand anymore...that's what I have a Kitchen Aid for. 

2 comments:

  1. They were so nummy! Thank you so so so so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my favorite oldest daughter...you are so very welcome.

    ReplyDelete