Labels

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday Breakfast at its BEST!

I saw a really wonderful recipe on a blog I follow and knew I had to attempt it.  I did not follow the recipe on the blog ~ rather I went online and found a shortcake recipe that I liked and built this wonderful dessert breakfast my way.

I will call this my 4th of July Special:

Shortcake:

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp shortening
3/4 cup 1/2 and 1/2

Preaheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Cut in butter and shortening.  Mix in 1/2 and 1/2.  Drop by large spoonfuls onto a baking sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes or until brown.  (Original recipe came from Alton Brown via the foodnetwork.com website.  I did adapt it a bit.)

While the shortcake is cooking, I washed and dried the strawberries (1 pound) and sliced them up; sprinkle with sugar and stir.  I then whipped up my whip cream...no cool whip for this girl ~ yuk!  I added sugar and a bit of vanilla to the heavy cream...I whipped mine until fairly firm. 

When the shortcake was cool, I broke it up and placed half of it on the bottom of my trifle bowl.  I topped that with half of my sliced strawberries, slathered half the whipped cream on the strawberries and topped with a cup of blueberries...and started the layer over again (red, white and blue).  

This dessert breakfast was amazing and I think I will be taking it with me to my families 4th of July get-together!

1 comment:

  1. This looks SOOOOO good! Is it up to bridal shower expectiations?

    Also, what night are you having hummus burgers...I want one!

    ReplyDelete