Labels

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Homemade Syrup, Homemade Ranch and a Flour Tortilla Update

I am going to live!  This afternoon, after being sick for 5 days, home from work for two days...I am going to survive my very nasty cold.  My gosh...this was one of the worst colds I have had in a loooonnngggg time...it kicked my butt!

However, today I ONLY took two small naps, took a stroll to soak in some unexpected sunshine and made some homemade tortillas.  I am ready to head back to work tomorrow.

Here are a couple of recipes I made before I hit the couch for an extended stay:

Homemade Maple Syrup

1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. maple flavored extract

Bring the water and both sugars to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the maple extract.  Simmer three minutes longer; can be stored in the refrigerator. 


Next up ~ our favorite ranch dressing.  This recipe was created by the Everett Public Schools Food & Nutrition department.  We needed to find a good dressing, that kids would like, but had less sodium.  This recipe is a winner.  My hubby LOVE's this dressing.  Feel free to tweak the onion and garlic powder if you like a little less bite or a bit more.


Ranch Dressing
2 cups buttermilk, low fat
3/4 cup mayonnaise, light
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. parsley, dried
2 tsp. granulated sugar

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Dressing will thicken as it sits.   Keep refrigerated.


and a Flour Tortilla Update...



I made homemade flour tortillas tonight for our steak fajitas...they were wonderful.  I used barely any flour when I kneaded and rolled them out and I cooked them at a lower temp for less time; these changes created a really good tortilla.  Next time I will cut the salt in half.  I could taste the salt and I don't think it is necessary to have it be such a bold flavor.

Last but not least...rumor is that Albertson's will be having double coupons in this upcoming Sunday paper...woo hoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment