Labels

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Homemade Flour Tortilla

One of the best ways to stretch your monthly grocery budget is to cook from scratch.  Today I decided to try making flour tortillas.  I had everything on hand and was excited to use my lefse pan for something other than lefse!

Here's the ingredient this recipe used:


After mixing and kneading:


Frying...



And the finished product...



Flour Tortillas
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 t salt
1 ½ t baking powder
2 t vegetable oil
¾ cup warm milk
Stir together flours, salt, and baking powder.  Stir in the oil and warm milk (I warmed up in the microwave).  Gently knead for a couple of minutes until the dough is soft and supple.  (You may need to add a couple more tablespoons of flour to ward off the stickiness, but don’t overdo it.  Too much flour and the resulting tortillas will be tough.  Cover the dough with a clean dishtowel and allow it to rest for 20 minutes.  Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll out, using as little flour as needed, into rough circles, about 8-inches in diameter and 1/4th to 1/8th inches thick.  Fry them on a hot cast iron skillet for about 45 seconds per side.  As you finish the tortillas, wrap them in a clean cloth.  Serve warm. 
So...what do I think?  They tasted good ~ especially with melted cheese....even my very picky favorite youngest daughter liked them.  That is until melted cheese dripped down her volleyball tshirt and left lots of grease stains; which meant that I had another load of laundry to do immediately (she needs to wear it to volleyball training tonight).

However, I am still testing this recipe because the person who orignally posted this recipe said that they could not be warmed up in the microwave.  I don't have time for finicky food...so I am going to see just how they hold up to the microwave and being stored in the fridge.  I will keep you posted.

I originally found this recipe on this blog:  http://mamasminutia.blogspot.com/2010/04/i-went-to-church-with-hole-in-my-skirt.html.  Please note...hers look better than mine but I will keep practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment