Labels

Monday, January 7, 2013

Muffins, Muffins and more Muffins

It is hard to believe that Christmas has come and gone!  I have to admit that the best part of Christmas is the week after when I am off work and have the chance to read, bake, clean, organize and cross-stitch...without any time limits.  I love nothing more than puttering around the house!

My favorite youngest daughter has a "team bonding" slumber party with her volleyball team...and I said I would bring muffins for breakfast the next day.  My first thought was that I would run to the bread outlet store and grab an assortment of donuts and muffins but then quickly changed my mind.  I am trying to make more of our foods and rely less on purchased/processed foods.  Plus, I had 6 over-ripe bananas, frozen sliced strawberries I purchased this past summer from a local farmer and everything else needed to make a variety of homemade muffins.  After "googling" all sorts of muffin recipes, I ended up making Banana Crumb Muffins, Chocolate Strawberry Muffins and Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins.  Yum!  I made enough to send with my favorite youngest daughter and still have a ton to put in the freezer for quick breakfasts.  The recipe below was my favorite:



Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
  
Cream Cheese Filling
4 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
Mix together very well and chill in the refrigerator.  (Chilling the filling helps keep it from absorbing into the muffin mix while baking). 
 
Muffins
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
Mix the sugar, oil, pumpkin, and eggs together very well in a large mixing bowl.  Then plop the flour, baking soda, and spices on top of the blended wet mixture.  Stir well to incorporate and fully mix everything together.  Oil or spray a muffin pan.  Spoon about 1-2 tablespoons of batter into the bottom of each muffin and make sure the bottom is covered with the batter.  Next, distribute  approximately 1 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture on the batter.  Finally top more of the batter over each to cover the cream cheese…approximately 2-3 tablespoons.  Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes.  Let cool before eating.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment